The Wegners began construction of the Grotto at their summer home. The building continued from 1929 until after 1936. On-site construction was accomplished over the summer months; however, many pieces were created in Bangor during the winter months and then transported to the farm for installation.
On March 19, 1937, Paul Wegner died after a long illness. His funeral was held in the Glass Church. Matilda continued to work on the Grotto, adding finishing touches to many of the pieces and creating colorful embellishments for the nearby cemetery where Paul was buried. Matilda died in 1942. Paul's and Matilda's graves are marked by monuments similar to the sculptures found in the Grotto.
The Wegner Grotto, known locally as the Glass Church, was owned by the Wegner family until purchased by the Kohler Foundation who has restored & maintained the site.
HOURS Mon - Sun 8 - 8, Memorial Day through Labor Day